[img src=”http://remodelagain.bypronto.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1187/2015/09/kitchen-model-02.jpg” class=”alignright” style=”thumbnail”]
When it is time to remodel your kitchen in Kansas City, it is important to choose a kitchen renovation specialist who can offer you exciting design choices, quality work, and aftercare.
Choosing cabinets can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be
Kitchen cabinets are not just part of the style of your kitchen. They are also part of its functionality. There are many choices that can change the look of your kitchen and make it more functional during your kitchen update.
There are several interesting styles of cabinet doors to choose from:
- Shaker style doors have recessed panels, light finishes, and plain hardware
- Flat doors have no definition to them
- Inset doors have a flat face with an inset center that is recessed from the face of the door.
- Louvered doors have slats that add an extra touch to the look of your kitchen.
- Glass doors have become popular again, and they offer a wide open look to a kitchen.
- Custom style doors are always available and are only limited by the creativity of your designer or you.
[img src=”http://remodelagain.bypronto.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1187/2015/09/kitchen-model-03.jpg” class=”alignright” style=”thumbnail”]
Most cabinets are crafted out of hardwood. Hardwood over plywood, metal, laminates and Thermofoil are also available. Wood choices include:
- Red oak, which is usually used for cabinets in the traditional style
- White oak, a more durable option than red oak
- Hard maple, whose light wood is usually either lightly stained or merely varnished
- Hickory, the blonde tones of which look great with a natural finish
- Cherry, which looks great with traditional style cabinets
- Birch, which can look like cherry or maple, but is less expensive
- Ash, another durable wood.
Cabinet styles will be the determining factor in the design of your kitchen. There are many kitchen cabinet styles to choose from when you are remodeling a kitchen, each with its own charm:
- Cottage kitchens are quite popular with women since they are a bit feminine looking.
- Many men seem to prefer the sleek, no-nonsense styling of the Craftsman style kitchen.
Early American, French, Italian, Mexican, European, Asian and Tuscan styles celebrate the various regions for which they are named. Antique, Victorian, Old World, Retro and Vintage styles suggest bygone days.
Kitchen cabinet hardware
The hardware you choose for your kitchen cabinets needs to go along with the style of your cabinets. There are many options for each style, ranging from plain to fancy. It is always good to choose a hardware style that is more common than one that is so unique it is hard to find. That way, if you ever need to replace a knob or a drawer pull, you will not have to replace them all just to ensure that you have matching hardware.
[img src=”http://remodelagain.bypronto.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1187/2015/09/kitchen-model-04.jpg” class=”alignright” style=”thumbnail”]
Once you have chosen your cabinets, it is time to select a countertop
Countertops need to look good as well as be functional. There is a wide variety of materials, styles, and colors, to select from for new countertops for your kitchen remodel:
- Granite is an exquisite addition to any kitchen, and it comes in interesting patterns. Although it lasts well and is very functional, it has one main drawback in that it has to be resealed periodically to keep it from collecting stains.
- Marble makes a beautiful countertop, but its drawback is that it chips, stains, scratches readily.
- Quartz surfacing is a countertop that consists of a mixture of tinted quartz chips and resin. It comes in many colors, and many consider it to be practically maintenance free.
- Solid surfacing is offered in many color choices, but its drawback is that it nicks and burns easily. The burns and nicks can be sanded out, though. Solid surfacing doesn’t always look wonderful with natural finishes.
- Tile brings out the creative artist in the people who opt to use it, as it lends itself to design creations. With the many color choices available, it can blend well with whatever cabinets, flooring and other design options you choose for your kitchen. However, its uneven surfaces are sometimes frustrating to folks, and the unstained grout between the tiles can harbor bacteria.
Your cabinet style choice determines the overall style of your new kitchen. The countertops blend in with it, and your selections can give the exciting look and supreme functionality you have long wanted.
Call us today to see what options we can put together to create your custom kitchen look: (816) 361-9669.