You’ve just installed a new wood deck and are looking forward to years of barbecues, parties, and lazy Sundays spent reading in the sun. But how do you make sure your deck lasts as long as possible?
A deck provides a beautiful and relaxing outdoor living space. Still, it’s essential to take steps to sustain and preserve it so you can enjoy it for years to come.
If you’re in the market for a new deck and are considering installing one on your home, read this article on how to preserve your wood deck.
What Is the Best Way to Clean a Wood Deck?
Assuming your deck is already stained or sealed, cleaning it is relatively simple. First, you should sweep it off to remove loose dirt and debris. Once that’s done, you can use a hose with a gentle sprayer attachment to wet down the entire surface.
After the deck has been wetted down, you can start scrubbing it with a brush. Be sure to use a cleaner specifically designed for decks, as other cleaners may damage the wood. Once you’ve scrubbed the entire surface, rinse it off with the hose and let it dry completely.
Not only will preserving your deck mean it last longer, but it will also give your home an extra layer of protection against the elements.
Your wood deck should last for many years with proper care and cleaning. However, Kansas City’s weather can be tough on outdoor surfaces. If your deck shows signs of wear, you may need to sand it down and re-stain or reseal it.
How Often Should You Clean Your Wood Deck?
It’s important to clean your wood deck regularly. How often you do this will depend on the climate, the amount of traffic the deck sees, and the type of wood you have.
We recommend cleaning your wood deck at least twice a year. In the winter, you’ll want to clean it more often because snow and ice can damage the wood. And in the summer, you’ll want to clean it less often because of the heat and humidity.
But always check with your deck manufacturer to get specific instructions on how to care for your particular type of wood.
What Are Some Common Mistakes Made When Cleaning a Wood Deck?
How you clean your wood deck is important, and if you’re not doing it the right way, you could be causing more damage than good.
Here are some common mistakes people make:
1. Not using the right products. There are a lot of different cleaning products out there, and it can be tough to know which one to use. Using the wrong product can damage your deck and make it more prone to rot and decay.
2. Not cleaning it often enough. This is a big one. If you don’t clean your deck, all that dirt and grime will start to build up, and it will be much more challenging to get rid of later on.
3. Not using the proper techniques. Cleaning your deck can be tricky, especially if you don’t have any experience with it. Make sure you read the instructions carefully and follow them step-by-step. Otherwise, you could end up doing more harm than good.
How Can You Prevent Your Wood Deck From Fading?
A deck is a popular outdoor feature for Kansas City homes. It can provide an excellent space for relaxing and entertaining. Still, it’s important to take steps to sustain and preserve it.
To keep your wood deck looking its best, it’s important to take some preventative measures.
- First, you’ll need to clean your deck regularly. This will help to remove any dirt, debris, or mold that could cause the wood to fade.
- You should also make sure to reapply a sealant or stain every year or two. This will help to protect the wood from the elements and keep it looking fresh.
- Finally, avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners on your deck. These can strip away the finish and leave the wood susceptible to fading.
Not all sealants are created equal. You need to ensure you’re using a sealant to protect your deck from the sun’s harsh UV rays. Schloegel Design Remodel recommends using a sealant with a UV blocker.
Hiring handyman services in Kansas City to help with regular deck maintenance is a great way to keep it looking its best. If you’re considering home remodeling in Kansas City, adding a deck is often one of the most popular choices.
What Should You Do if You Have a Deck That Is Already Faded?
If you’ve got a wood deck that’s seen better days, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered.
Here are a few things you can do to restore it and keep it looking great for years to come.
- Seal your deck with a high-quality sealant. This will help protect it from the sun and adverse weather, and it will also help to prevent warping, cracking, and splitting.
- You should also clean your deck regularly with a good deck cleaner. This will remove any dirt, grime, or algae that may have built up, and it will also help to preserve the wood.
- If your deck is already faded, you may want to consider painting it. A fresh coat of paint will help to revive it and give it a new life.
How Can You Protect Your Wood Deck From the Elements?
Just like with anything else in your home, it’s important to take steps to protect your wood deck from the elements. The harsh Kansas City winters and hot summers can take a toll on your deck if you’re not careful.
So, what can you do? Here are some tips:
– Make sure to clean your deck regularly, using a mild solution. This will help remove any dirt or stains that can be a breeding ground for insects or rot.
– Apply a sealant every year to help protect the wood from moisture and the sun’s UV rays.
– If you live in an area with heavy snowfall, shovel your deck regularly to prevent the snow from melting and seeping into the wood.
– If you have a patio cover or some other type of roof over your deck, keep it clear of leaves and other debris, which can cause damage.
Why Choose Schloegel Design Remodel?
Schloegel Design Remodel is the perfect choice for your wood deck preservation. We are passionate about remodeling and know our people can make your remodeling experience exceptional.
If you have any other questions or concerns about preserving your wood deck, contact our handyman services in Kansas City. We’ll be able to help you out with anything you need and give you some helpful tips for keeping your deck in top condition!
So why choose Schloegel Design Remodel? Because we can help with all your home remodeling and handyman needs in Kansas City, big or small. Contact us today for a free consultation!