Spring is nearly upon us, at least we are crossing our fingers it is, and it’s time to start thinking about your home’s exterior. With the rough winter, we’ve had in KC that list may be larger than usual whether it be clearing away branches, re-seeding your lawn or repainting your home. How do you know if your home needs to be repainted?
We’ve put together a list of 5 telltale signs it’s time to repaint your home
- The paint shows signs of wear which may include bubbling, peeling, or cracking paint. These are indicators the paint is succumbing to the elements and is in need of a paint job.
- The paint has faded, lost its sheen, or has visible water staining (commonly evident on stucco).
- The caulking at your trim is buckling or you see gaps between the body and trim. These are good indicators the caulking has lost its elasticity or has become brittle.
- Your home may simply look a little dated and you are sick of looking at the drab color every time you come home. Refreshing your home’s paint is one of the best ways to increase its curb appeal.
- Your paint’s “shelf life” has expired. There isn’t an exact amount of time but in Kansas City’s environment exterior wood surfaces should be repainted every 3 -7 years while exterior stucco surfaces should be repainted every 5 – 6 years.
So, if your home has one or maybe a couple of these signs, it might be time to consider repainting. Not sure where to go? The Schloegel Paint Services team are experts and will make sure your home is repainted the right way. They’ll check and repair wood rot, scrape the old paint, power wash the exterior, caulk seams and repaint your home to the highest standard.
Need more painting tips? Be sure to check out our Complete Homeowner’s Guide to Painting Your Home in Kansas City.