It can be scary to commit to new trends in home décor and furnishings, but with the help of expert designers, your home can always look timeless and fresh. And that’s what Schloegel Design Remodel’s designers discussed at this month’s community workshop, On Trend Remodeling: Trends and Renovations for 2017.
Nearly two dozen people, each with unique questions and concerns attended the workshop and a great time was had by all. In case you weren’t able to make the seminar, here’s a recap of some the material we covered.
- A great way to test out a trend is with paint color since it’s easy to apply and remove. Check out the Sherwin- Williams 2017 Color Forecast for inspiration to get started.
- As more Americans look for ways to recycle, reclaimed wood is making a big impact in home décor. Consider using reclaimed wood as an accent wall, table, in other pieces of furniture or wall art.
- Consider using different sizes and patterns of tile to create unique looks. Pattern tiles can punch up any room. You can also expect to see a lot more wood-look plank tiles, 3D textured tiles and concrete tiles.
- If you’re interested in kitchen organization innovation, be sure to watch check out drawer corner storage and base corner storage.
- Wallpaper fell out of favor with a lot of homeowners, but with more modern patterns and textures it’s definitely making a comeback.
- Designers refer to ceilings as the “fifth wall,” and white should no longer be the standard color on them. Consider painting a darker color on the ceiling to add depth and warmth, or stripes to bring a fun pop to a room.
- While marble is timeless material, it does require maintenance. New quartz colors from lines like Cambria and Caesarstone perfectly imitate marble without the maintenance.
- The first thing people notice when they enter a home is typically the entry lighting. Add the width, length, & height of the room together to determine the best width of light fixture you should select.
- While the brass of decades past is still bemoaned by many, a more textured and muted brass look is becoming very popular. Also popular are crystals, which took a back seat for a few years. Finally, keep a look out for industrial lighting that includes Edison bulbs and LED technology.
Thank you to everyone who came out to the workshop! We can’t wait to announce the details for our next one soon!