A few weeks ago, we gave you an update on our Big Splash project for 2016. Well, the project is now complete and we can’t wait to show you the results.
Fox 4 Problem Solvers stopped by the Vejrosta home for the reveal of the bathroom to Abby, who suffers from Rett Syndrome, a rare neurological disease that prevents her from walking and speaking. Here is the segment that aired this week:
We began the project by thinking about the problems that the small, cramped 1950’s style bathroom caused Abby and her family. The number 1 problem was space. Because Abby could not walk or bathe herself, her mother and father had to carry from her bedroom to the tub for her baths. The cramped space was too small to accommodate Abby’s wheelchair, and as Abby grew, it became more difficult for her parents to carry her.
The solution? We widened the bathroom and hallway outside the bathroom, making it much easier to maneuver Abby’s chair. We also added a double door directly to Abby’s bedroom.
The main feature of the new bathroom is a stunning, Barclay claw-foot tub, generously provided by Averie Chapman and Ferguson Plumbing Supply. This tub not only looks great, but it serves a functional purpose as well. The legs allow for a lift apparatus to wheel in under the tub, meaning the lift can raise and lower Abby directly in and out of the tub, making life much easier for Abby’s parents.
We also installed a beautiful new vanity, specially designed to accommodate Abby’s wheelchair with a lower counter height and an open under-sink design. The vanity is decorated by an exciting pink, glass tile backsplash from our friends a ProSource of Lee’s Summit, and the countertop was provided by Onyx Collection.
Tying the whole room together is luxury vinyl floor tiles, perfect for easy rolling of Abby’s lift and wheelchair.
We are so happy to help Abby and the Vejrosta family with this life-changing bathroom remodel, and we can’t wait to help another family in need next year.
Thank you to the Fox 4 Love Fund and Fox 4 for featuring this project. We also want to thank the following partners who helped make this project possible:
• U-Load It – Aaron and Warren Seinstra Jr. for the dumpster and other construction logistics equipment.
• Jason Wright and Jason Wright Electric for all electrical work.
• Chuck Martin and Plumbing Plus, Inc. for all plumbing work.
• Todd Haverman and Kansas City Millwork for all interior doors and trim
• Averie Chapman and Ferguson for the tub, vanity faucet, toilet and accessories
• Onyx Collection for the new counter top and wall panels around the tub
• Shelley Atha, Deborah Thompson and ProSource of Lee’s Summit for the flooring and backsplash
• Olathe Glass for the tempered glass window above the tub.
Check back soon for more details on the Ripple Effect project,
2015 Big Splash Recipient – Meet the Vejrosta Family
Work Begins on Schloegel Big Splash Recipient Home
Another Family Gets Life-Changing New Shower